Thursday, April 11, 2013

[FACEit] nobody likes blackheads so how do we get rid of them?


Blackheads form when hair follicles get clogged with dirt, oil, and bacteria.  When exposed to air, the oil and bacteria turn black, making blackheads more noticeable and sometimes embarrassing.  Treatments can be expensive and/or have negative side effects.  

Thank goodness we can make blackhead-clearing scrubs and masks ourselves!  There are so many different remedies that claim to work out there so I tried 2, hoping one would work. 

Both recipes are very simple but they also get a little messy so I wouldn’t wear clothing that you’d be upset about ruining.

The almond honey mask.

Put 1 tablespoon of almonds into a food processor (I just used a blender) until they are ground into fine crumbs.  Then add a tablespoon of honey and apply to your face.  Leave for about 20 minutes.



This remedy is supposed to clean up your skin and draw out impurities and blackheads.  Not only is it a little bit of a challenge to spread on your face but it also starts dripping down your face and sometimes dripping off your face.


The baking soda and water mask.

Put ¼ cup of baking soda in a bowl.  Add water until it forms a paste.  I used less than ¼ cup of water.  You want to be able to spread the paste onto your face but you don’t want it to be too watery.  Apply to your face and leave for about 20 minutes. (I added too much water)


This remedy is supposed to remove dead skin cells and blackheads from pores.  It was hard to get the mixture to stay on my face because I added a little too much water.  The paste was very hard to work with and would not stop dripping off my face.  Once it dried it would not stop cracking and leaving powder everywhere.

When you rinse both masks off, use them as a scrub.  Use warm water and exfoliate your skin as you wash the masks off. 


Neither mask got rid of all of our blackheads.  The almond honey mixture removed a few blackheads (nothing impressive) and made my sister’s skin extremely soft.  

The baking soda mixture only removed a bit more blackheads (still nothing impressive) BUT it actually made the blackheads easier to extract after I rinsed it off!!

These remedies were easy to make but for the minimal results we got, along with the mess these masks left, I'm still trying to find a better solution for DIY blackhead removal.

What DIY blackhead scrubs or masks have you found that work?

3 comments:

  1. I love these home recipes - definitely worth a try!

    I've given you a versatile blogger award, check out the post here! http://makeupmouse.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/versatile-blogger-award.html x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love DIY beauty stuff and this seems easy to make! :) I might try it one day xx

    @ The Grace of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this post useful and I hope you do try it! Plenty more DIY recipes to come! :))

      Delete